Celtic responds in Champions League with 3-3 draw v. Man City

Moussa Dembele scored twice and Kieran Tierney added another goal but Man City leveled the match from behind three different times and the Hoops had to settle for the draw.

Playing on a heavy rain-soaked field at Parkhead, Manchester City and Celtic took to the pitch in a UEFA Champions

Dembele Rodgers Celtic Man City

League group stage matchup on Wednesday. Dembele chested the ball into goal in the third minute as Celtic took an early lead. Fernandhino equalized the game in the 11th minute, knocking a goal past Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

Tierney found himself at the end of a Tomas Rogic pass which went past keeper Claudio Bravo, after careening off City striker Raheem Sterling for an own goal in the 20th minute. But just eight minutes later, Sterling would slip past the defenders and foot a ball into net to regain an even level at 2-2.

Dembele wreaked more havoc after the half as he hooked a missed clearance past Bravo for yet another Celtic lead in the 47th minute.

City, though, responded with a repetitive flurry of aggression as they pushed the Celtic defenders deep in to their own end for most of the remaining time. After Gordon pushed away a shot, Nolito knocked the rebound into goal to equalize the match for the final time in the 55th minute at 3 goals each.

Hoops manager Brendan Rodgers praised Dembele in an article in the Daily Telegraph, believing the young striker can be as good as Didier Drogba, “What I see in Moussa is that he’s a big game player. He really comes alive in the big games such as Wednesday’s.”

Celtic fans again have the opportunity to experience joy on Saturday as The Bhoys head to Dens Park Stadium for a date with Dundee in Ladbrokes’ Scottish Premiership play. Celtic currently leads the League with 16 points (5-1-0), while Dundee is currently in 9th place with 6 points (1-3-3).

One thought on “Celtic responds in Champions League with 3-3 draw v. Man City

Comments are closed.